Welcome one and all to this week’s Top 5 Wednesday post! For those of you who don’t know Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme/challenge which was created by the wonderful Lainey from gingerreadslainey and is now overseen by the equally lovely Sam from Thoughts on Tomes. Every Wednesday, participants devise their Top 5 based on a given topic.
This Wednesday’s topic is Characters You’d Cosplay: feature some characters you’d like to cosplay as or you think would make a fun Halloween costume.
I’m not the biggest fan of Halloween, truth be told, never have been… but in my time I’ve dressed up as the requisite witch or two when I was younger. In fact, I think my Mildred Hubble costume from The Worst Witch is still lurking in my parents’ house somewhere! I can’t deny though that there are a few characters I’d love to cosplay as if I got the chance at an event or convention purely because I love their costumes.
It’s yet another Tuesday, so that means another Top Ten Tuesday. For those who don’t know, Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by the book bloggers and list lovers, The Broke and the Bookish, and each week they post a topic for bloggers to respond to.
This week’s theme is a Halloween Freebie, to tie in with Halloween just round the corner. The topics can range from ten scary books to favourite horror novels to scary books on my TBR, and so on, and so forth. I’m not a huge fan of horror, reading a bit of Gothic literature is about as “spooky” as I ever get. So the suggestion I really like for a topic is top ten characters I’d like to dress up as for Halloween. Now, I’m not much of a costume person, mostly because I don’t really “celebrate” Halloween, and I haven’t dressed up since I was, what, 10? So this is a chance to actually explore the desire to be some of my favourite characters from all manner of books and films.
- Mildred Hubble – The Worst Witch books by Jill Murphy (I have actually done this costume before, it’s pretty easy and I loved the books as a child)
- Eowyn – Lord of the Rings trilogy by JRR Tolkien (mainly the film, that Shieldmaiden dress, k thanks)
- Kaz Brekker – Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (because Kaz)
- Lila Bard – A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab (she’s basically a pirate, duh)
- Kell – A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab (he has a coat, I have a thing for coats, if you don’t believe me, ask anyone who knows me)
- Captain Jack Sparrow – Pirates of the Caribbean films (again, he has a coat, and a pirate hat)
- Hermione Granger – Harry Potter by JK Rowling (it’s Hermione, do I need more of a reason?)
- Anna Valerious – from Van Helsing (basically I’d kill to look as good as Kate Beckinsale does in that corset/trousers/killer boots combo)
- Enjolras – Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (mainly the musical version, so I would get to wear the xylophone jacket)
- Loki – from the Marvel Cinematic Universe films (he has a cool costume, obviously, and it would be such fun to wave that sceptre around)
As you might have noticed – I have a thing for pirates, general badass ladies, people with cool coats, or all of the above. I don’t think I need to justify enjoying any of those aspects, really, I’m sure you all get it!
So that was my Top Ten Tuesday featuring characters I’d love to dress up as for Halloween. Which characters would you choose to dress up as?
Comment below/link your own Halloween-related Top Ten post below if you have one – I’d love to read it!
Goodreads | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Bloglovin’