Just a short one from me today! It’s yet another Tuesday, so that means another Top Ten Tuesday. For those who don’t know, Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by the book bloggers and list lovers, The Broke and the Bookish, and each week they post a topic for bloggers to respond to.
This week’s theme is: Ten Characters I’d Name A Child After. I tend to be quite boring or traditional with my name choices, so this was a challenge. However, I quickly realised that some of the names I like and wouldn’t say were fiction-influenced might, in fact, have been subconsciously picked up from books. In lieu of explanation (because I do tend to ramble), I’ve listed the book/work I most notably saw the name in, because I think that is explanation enough. So, without further ado… here is my top ten list:
- Hermione – Harry Potter by JK Rowling/Greek mythology
- Persephone – Greek mythology
- Arianna – Stravaganza series by Mary Hoffman
- Beatrice – Much Ado About Nothing by Shakespeare/A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
- Isaac – Biblical
- Ezra – Biblical
- William – Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (I’d never subject a child to being called Fitzwilliam, however)
- Charlotte – The Lottie Project by Jacqueline Wilson
- Isabella – Emma by Jane Austen/Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte/”Bel” of The Hour (TV show)
- Elenore/Nell – The Comedy of Errors by Shakespeare (Nell Gwynn was also famously Charles II’s mistress)
That was my Top Ten Tuesday featuring some of my favourite names from fiction that I’d consider naming a hypothetical child.
Do any of these names feature on your Top Ten list?
What names have you come to like because of a character in a book?
Comment below/link your own post below if you have one – I’d love to read it!